Go to content.

Further information about adult education allowance for persons applying after 1 August 2020

Employee's adult education allowance has been changed.

If you have received an allowance before 1 August 2020, proceed to these instructions.

Salary used as the basis for the earnings-related component

We calculate the amount of allowance based on salaries paid over a period of 12 months before submitting the application or the start of the allowance period. The calculation takes into account your established salary, in other words your taxable earned income minus any holiday pay and holiday compensation.

If you have been fully or partially absent from work during the 12 months before applying due to family or sick leave or studies, for example, we will extend the review period by the length of the absences with no pay or only partial pay in order to allow the calculation to be based on the last 12 months for which you have received a salary.

If you have been absent from work during the 12 months preceding your application due to:

  • family leave
  • studying
  • illness
  • unemployment
  •  job alternation leave

the salary review period is extended by the length of the unpaid absences to cover 12 months of paid employment.

Months with part-time employment for the above or following reasons may also be ignored:

  • Partial child care leave
  • Part-time study leave
  •  Partial disability pension
  • Part-time pension
  • Partial daily sickness allowance

If the part-time nature of the work or the absence from work was for reasons other than the foregoing, the period in question will not be ignored when calculating your average monthly earnings.

You may also have had other employment relationships in addition to your full-time employment or public service relationship over the 12-month period. This salary income is also taken into account when calculating your average monthly earnings over the same review period as the salaries and wages for your full-time employment. If you have unpaid absences in your full-time employment or public service relationship from the past 12 months, you must submit a separate pay slip on salaries and wages from your secondary employment or public service relationship.

The calculation takes into account earned income from your main occupation and all secondary occupations. When calculating the amount of adult education allowance, we cannot take into account your income from business activities or managing director’s salaries.

Your spouse’s income and capital income do not affect the amount of or entitlement to an allowance. The number of children does not affect the allowance, and the allowance will not be increased in accordance with the number of children.

A deduction will be applied to the average monthly salary used as a basis for calculating the earnings-related component of the allowance. The deduction corresponds to the employees’ pension and unemployment insurance contributions, as well as the daily allowance payment for health insurance. In 2020, the amount of deduction is 4.14%.

Following up on studies

We track the progress of your studies after each semester by asking for the information directly from your school or university. We will also request information if your education ends during the allowance period. If no studies have been completed or very little has been completed, we will ask you for an explanation. Benefits that have been paid without grounds will be recovered.

During the period when you receive adult education allowance, you need to complete at least 2 or 4 credits or competence points on average each month, depending on your income during the month for which the allowance is paid. The amount of credits you need to complete in each month in order to receive an allowance is stated on your payment decision. Often, study credits are not recorded for the actual month in which they were earned. However, it is important that study credits are recorded immediately after the end of the allowance period.

If the completed studies relating to your final project have not yet been registered when the monitoring phase takes place, be prepared to provide the Employment Fund with an explanation of the progress of your work during the allowance period if we so request. The explanation may be a statement from your thesis supervisor. The work must progress at a rate corresponding to at least three two or four credits per month.

Reporting changes

You can edit your personal information such as address or bank account number in our online customer service. In the online service, you can also add your updated tax card issued for the allowance.

In the event of changes in your studies or employment relationship, please let us know. The following situations affect your eligibility for the adult education allowance. The list is not exhaustive:

  • Your studies or study leave are discontinued or suspended
  • You graduate before the end of the allowance period
  • The educational institution or education changes
  • Your employment or public service relationship ends
  • You receive a new type of social security benefit retroactively while the allowance is being paid, such as maternity, paternity or parental allowance, home care allowance, pension, rehabilitation benefit or similar
  • You move away from Finland for a long period
  • You complete compulsory military service or civilian service

Whenever possible, report any changes using our online service. If you do not have access to the online service, you can email us (koulutusetuudet@tyollisyysrahasto.fi) or call our telephone service (+358 75 757 0505 (local network rate/mobile phone rate) between 9 a.m. and 12 noon on weekdays.)


If you are not satisfied with a decision, you can appeal it within 30 days of receiving notice of the decision. If you have consented to electronic receipt of notice and the decision has been delivered to you electronically in the online service, you are considered to have received notice of the decision on the third day after receiving the message that the decision has been issued.

Submit an appeal in the online service. Before filling in the application, check that you have entered the correct decision number which you wish to appeal. After this, select the topic of the appeal from the drop-down menu.

Describe in what way you wish the decision to be changed and your grounds for the appeal. Explain your case clearly and in as much detail as possible. If necessary, include any documents or clarifications to support your appeal.

We process received appeals without delay and will notify you by email when your case has been taken for processing. If we are able to approve your appeal and adjust our decision, we will make the necessary corrections and issue you a new decision. If we are unable to adjust the decision in accordance with your demands, we will forward your appeal to the Social Security Appeals Board. We will mail you the Fund’s statement on the matter and instructions on how you can present your arguments to the Fund’s statement to the Appeals Board.

Page updated: 3/8/2020