Go to content.

More information on adult education allowance for employees starting studies before 1 August 2020

These instructions apply to employees who have received adult education allowance before 1 August 2020. If you have started your studies after this date, please see the instructions in the link.

Submitting a further application

You must always submit an application to receive adult education allowance. Additional allowance cannot be granted by contacting our customer service by phone or email. The easiest way to submit a further application for full or adjusted allowance is via our online service.

After logging in to the online service, select the section: Hae lisää tukea opintoihin, joihin olet saanut päätöksen ennen 1.8.2020 (Apply for additional allowance for studies for which you have received a decision before 1 August 2020).

A further application for adult education allowance is submitted when you are applying for an allowance for the same studies for which you have previously been granted adult education allowance. The further application is sent via the online service in the same manner as the initial allowance application.

Transferring the allowance

You must always submit an application to receive adult education allowance. If you need to postpone the granted allowance until another time, you must notify the Fund of the period for which you want to cancel the allowance. Cancelled days of allowance are not automatically transferred to a later period in time but require a new application. For example, if you cancel your allowance for the period from 1 February to 31 March, two allowance months will be freed for you to use at another time by submitting a new further application for adult education allowance.

Report the transfer of allowance by email.


Following up on studies

We track the progress of your studies after each semester by asking for the information directly from your school or university. We will also request information if your education ends during the allowance period. If no studies have been completed or very little has been completed, we will ask you for an explanation. Benefits that have been paid without grounds will be recovered.

During the period when you receive adult education allowance, you need to complete at least 3 credits or competence points on average each month. Often, study credits are not recorded for the actual month in which they were earned. However, it is important that study credits are recorded immediately after the end of the allowance period.

If the completed studies relating to your final project have not yet been registered when the monitoring phase takes place, be prepared to provide the Employment Fund with an explanation of the progress of your work during the allowance period if we so request. The explanation may be a statement from your thesis supervisor. The work must progress at a rate corresponding to at least three credits per month.

Reporting changes

Let us know by phone or email of any changes that affect your eligibility to the allowance.

The decision letter you received includes a list of situations that require you to notify us without delay. Be sure to also let us know if your contact information changes.

You must notify us in any of the following situations. The list is not exhaustive:

  • Your studies or study leave are discontinued or suspended
  • You graduate with your degree before the end of the allowance period
  • The educational institution or education changes
  • Your earnings during the payment period are over the income threshold
  • You receive a new type of social security benefit while the allowance is being paid (sick pay, maternity, paternity or parental allowance, home care allowance, pension, rehabilitation benefit, etc.)
  • Your employment or public service relationship ends
  • You move away from Finland for a long period

If you report changes by email, we recommend using a secure email connection

  • send the email to koulutusetuudet@tyollisyysrahasto.fi
  • clearly state the matter you wish to inform us about, along with the application number and your date of birth.

We will respond within 1–3 working days.

You can also call our customer service.


If you are not satisfied with the decision, you can request changes to it by appealing the decision.

Send your appeal and justifications to us at the Employment Fund but address it to the Social Security Appeals Board. This will enable us to first review whether the decision can be revised.

  • The appeal must be submitted in writing
  • The appeal must arrive at the Employment Fund within 30 days of the date when you received notice of the original decision.
  • You can submit the appeal via secure email connection to the address koulutusetuudet@tyollisyysrahasto.fi

If we cannot revise the decision, your appeal will be sent to the Social Security Appeals Board along with a statement from us. You will receive a separate notification of this, as well as our statement for your information.

We process appeals in the order we receive them.

If the decision contained an error that we can correct, you may receive a new decision within a few days.

Enclosed with the decision are detailed instructions on how to submit the appeal.

Applying for an allowance for summer studies

In most cases, education institutions consider June, July and August to be summer holiday months. If your studies continue full time during the summer, you can apply for an allowance for summer studies by submitting a further application for adult education allowance.

Please note that the allowance cannot be granted for summer months for students of, for example, vocational colleges without a separate statement on the studies to be completed over the summer. For this reason, when applying for an allowance for summer studies, be sure to include a statement of the studies to be completed as well as an up-to-date certificate of studies. The certificate must indicate the number of credits and time of the intended studies.

If you do not have sufficient days of allowance remaining to cover the summer studies but the allowance you have been granted is not yet due for payment, state on your application that you consent to cancelling the granted application for the number of days necessary in order to free up sufficient days of allowance for the summer months.

Example: You have been granted adult education allowance by a previous decision for 15 months from 1 November 2019 until 31 May 2020 and 1 August 2020 until 31 March 2021. You want to apply for adult education allowance for the summer months from 1 June 2020 until 31 July 2020, but all days of allowance have been assigned in the previous decision. In your application, you can let us know that you wish to cancel days from the end of your allowance period in order to have sufficient days of allowance for the summer 2020.

Page updated: 31/7/2020